And so, Vic Roads corresponded with me to inform me that I could keep my licence. But that, (as my GP had entered the results of my vision test on the line which indicates he had tested me with aided vision), I needed to have my licence updated to have a condition imposed. Namely, that I needed to wear spectacles while driving.
As I had undergone Lasik surgery in 2009 so that I wouldn't have to use glasses for long vision and driving, I was, at first a bit bemused. Then I dug out the photocopy of the form my GP had filled in and saw that, instead of filling out the line which indicated he had tested my vision without any vision enhancing device, he had chosen to fill out the line that he had tested my vision while I was using a vision aiding device.
Sigh.
Decided that instead of filling his pockets for the third time in this mini-drama I seem to be with respect to gaining my full Vic Roads licence, I decided that, as I hadn't had my vision tested by an optometrist for some time, I'd fill an optometrists pockets. Thus yesterday afternoon I found myself being examined by an optometrist with a fairly bland personality who kept me in suspense until the end with respect to whether I had glaucoma or whether I was good for my driving licence without spectacles. And both were good. I will be receiving a pair of reading glasses sometime in the next week or so. But I now have to wander back into Vic Roads and see about getting the restriction with respect to spectacles being lifted from my licence.
This episode just goes to show me that if I had reviewed the form that my GP had filled in with some care I may have avoided the requirement to get my vision tested. On the bright side, I've been aware that I really should have my vision tested as there have been times when a set of reading glasses would have been advantageous. The benefit of technology is that I don't need to use glasses when using my ipad or laptop as I can set the font to an acceptable size. But for some of the smaller text that is out there I am lost without a magnifying glass or a younger set of eyes to assist me. The reading glasses are well overdue but on their way
No comments:
Post a Comment