Tuesday, November 29, 2016

Openssh to the rescue

With a brand spanking new laptop, and an old laptop full of files that I wanted to move across to the new laptop, I was hoping I wouldn't have to move them via external hard drive from one machine to the other.

In the depths of my mind I recalled using cygwin/openssh in the past to move data from one windows system to another in a similar scenario in the past. But to my surprise I found that microsoft have been working to make openssh work on windows. As evidenced by a post I found at https://winscp.net/eng/docs/guide_windows_openssh_server  - so any thought of using cygwin/ssh went straight out the window and have now installed the microsoft supported port of openssh to windows

The hardest part was working out how to configure Norton Smart Firewall to allow SSH connections to my new laptop and files are now happily being transferred between machines. Being slightly paranoid I've left the sshd service as one that has to be manually started so it doesn't run all the time. And the firewall rules only allow connections from machines on the local subnet.

With the need to move a load of data from one system to another and setting up the laptop in a way that I'm happy with being top of mind, the process, so far seems to be relatively painless.  Mitigated in some respects by the very snappy response from the new laptop. To say that I'm in love with an inanimate object is taking it a little far. But I am enamoured with the change in response times.  The keyboard is a delight to work with.  I just have to work out how to deal with the track pad and things will be sweet.

No comments:

Post a Comment