Tuesday, November 29, 2016

An early Christmas present to myself

As 2017 approaches, so does the 6th anniversary of the purchase date of my ancient, in technology terms, Lenovo laptop. While I have extracted maximum value from that purchase, the time has come to end my relationship with its constant poor performance, locking and inability to resurrect itself from sleep mode.

After my optometrists appointment in the middle of yesterday afternoon, I took myself off to a computer shop that willingly sold me a MSI laptop. Specifically, a MSI GP62 6QF Leopard Pro 15.6 inch Core i7, GTX960 4GB Gaming Notebook with 16GB system memory, 128GB SSD disk + 1 TB HDD.   Well, at least my invoice says that is what they sold me.

My requirements were that, after experiencing the system lock hell that 4GB memory gave me, I wanted more, and was prepared to pay for more than 8GB. With 16GB being the next increment that was was what I went for.   Add in the wasted minutes and hours waiting for my laptop to boot from a non-SSD hard drive, versus the almost instant on that you get when resurrecting the laptop from a sleep state when you are resurrecting it from an SSD drive, and that was a requirement as well.

A bit expensive. But, as I use the laptop so much, one that will improve the quality of my lived experience immensely.

Why choose an MSI laptop. Simply that I had asked a skype poker group that I've joined if anyone had any recommendations and one of the guys had a fairly grunty MSI laptop and was well pleased with it. Given that recommendation allowed me to restrict my choices to one manufacturer this removed a lot of pain from my decision making process. Then it was simply a matter of doing a bit of research via google and the purchase is now history.



No comments:

Post a Comment