And I am no exception. I am acutely aware of this with the skype study group I have joined recently. My level of interest in other people's bat beat stories generally approaches zero. Exceptions to be made for those stories where someone has done some meaningful analysis to the hand to see whether the hand could be played differently, or whether it was a generally profitable scenario where, over time, if you play the hand the same way, you will be profitable.
Being aware of the fact no-one else in the world is in the slightest bit concerned about my bad beat stories, I am also aware that a bad beat can generate tilt. Being on tilt is negative EV over the long term. So the challenge after a bad beat is to come back to an even keel. In general terms focusing on mindfulness techniques for several minutes, maybe playing very tight for an orbit then getting up and having a short five to ten minute break seems to help me personally come back to an even keel. Then with the ship righted, it can be back to disciplined play. A marker for me if I am on tilt after a bad beat is that I'll be wanting to open up my game more so as to be able to win back the money that was taken from me by the poker gods. I'll also extend a session, where previously I had planned to end the session after a set time interval. This remains a major leak for me and I need to end the session as planned. Trying to win back the losses remains a leak.
Sometimes sharing the bad beat, while I am aware the universe is not interested, seems to help. Maybe I need to use ShareMyPair app / website to document the hand, then walk away from the hand. Pondering on that approach for my next bad beat where I have the nut straight Vs two pair, and someone hits their three outer on the turn to turn a full house. For the pedants, one of the cards that would have given my opponent a full house in my latest bad beat story would have given me a straight flush, so in this case it was a three outer, not a four outer....
No comments:
Post a Comment