Tuesday, January 10, 2017

Brain Pickings, podcasts and intellectual stimulation

Thirty years ago a large chunk of my intellectual stimulation on a regular basis came from reading newspapers. Physical newspapers. Those days are gone. It is a very rare occasion that I read a physical news paper these days.

Today was one of those days. At North Fitzroy public library, while I waited for the results of the roadworthy test on my van, I sat at a table with some other oldish geezers and read four papers.

This evening, I'm back at my laptop and consuming information the way I normally do. Via the internet. And my twitter feed has served up a tweet from brainpickings that had me pondering for several minutes. Then I realized that thirty years ago I would likely have never landed on the information shared by brainpickings. I like the new environment much more. The link from the brainpickings tweet then pointed out to a brainpickings page on positivity resonance. And the information there resonated with me with respect to the some of the meta reasons for the failure of my relationship with my ex

Every Friday   two of my favourite podcasts land.  The Tim Ferriss Podcast being one.  And Alexander Fitzgerald's collaboration with Barry at oneouter.com being the other.  Looking back at 2016 these podcasts have been my friend.  With much in the way of stimulating and useful information being taken from the Tim Ferriss podcast. And from Alexander Fitzgerald, much in the way of inspiration and self-belief that, providing enough hard work is put in, my poker game will improve over time.

No comments:

Post a Comment