Wednesday, October 12, 2016

Out of North Coburg to Brighton

Returned to Melbourne from my Sydney house sit a week ago and landed in an AirBnB in North Coburg. Great atmosphere to the place. Hosted by  a classic Anglo Australian who is training as a builder and has a penchant for littering his yard with cars - most 30 years or more older. With his prize possession being a Ford (?) from the 1950s. He has a 1970s campervan parked in his drive that he is working on and uses that as his bedroom. Apparently he was running the front bedroom as a dorm but had that shut down after a visit by the council. He didn't put up a fight as he didn't want them to look too closely at the alterations he had made to the house. Which pretty much were all in the dodgy realm with respect to council consent. The place had a feel like a student flat from my university days in terms of housing standard, but it had a really nice feel to the place which was in large part due to the hosts zen like personality.

And now I've dropped my luggage into my new AirBnB in Brighton.  And where as the North Coburg residence was about 1km from the train station, this new residence is about 40m from a tram stop... So much less likely to lose weight in my new AirBnB.

The Melbourne APPT tournament series has been in play from last Thursday - Oct 6. The main event starts tomorrow with Flight 1 of Day 1.  There are two flights on day 1 with Day 2 being on Sunday.  I've tried to satellite in a couple of time at low value satellites with a combination of no luck in a turbo environment.  I'll give it one more crack today and if I miss out will sit out the main.

Have played in three tournaments and have cashed in one - placing 7th out of 175 runners.  Feel pretty good about that. Was surviving as a short stack from the point where there were about 30+ runners left. With 18 players being paid, getting through to 7th was a result I ended up being pretty happy about. I could easily have been out without cashing.

On the kiddie front I have had an excellent update email from #1 son.  He seems to be in a good place in his life and balancing his University work with social activities and exercise in a nice blend.  And with respect to #2 son I"ve stumbled across some information that may help him with his chronic headaches. He has been having regular headaches since his mid-teens and has been on long term medication to try to ameliorate the symptoms.  I've sent off the information to #2 son and the ex.  The ex replied but no reply from #2 son.  I often send off emails to #2 son with links that I think he might find interesting or useful. But almost never get an acknowledgement that the email has been received. And once again I'm reminded of the saying that the best predictor of future behaviour is past behaviour.   I'm hopeful that there is something in the information I sent that will be of use to him.

Every time I move AirBnB's I check to see if the black dog is accompanying me out the door. And it seems that I might have shaken the black dog's trail, at least, for a bit. An unusual feeling after such a bleak period post bust up with the ex.  But happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment