Wednesday, February 1, 2017

Catching up with Disco

During my time at Vipassana in 2016 I became friends with one of the blokes who served at a couple of the courses I served on.

For a time he went by the name "Disco", after he raided the lost and found and borrowed a jacket that was reminiscent of Michael Jackson at his sparkling best.  After a while that name went sour for him but to me he will always be Disco.

Disco has returned to Melbourne after six months in and out of Vipassana with the intention of finding work in the near future. And he was available for a chat today. A chat that I needed to help process the information my cardiologist had put front and centre on Monday. That is, that I was going to most likely need major open heart surgery sometime in the next 5 to 10 years. Surgery that carries a reasonable amount of risk.  

And Disco was a good person to talk to. Having a chat is a good way to alleviate anxiety. Especially if the person you are talking to is having their own drama that is causing them suffering.

Disco had fallen hard for a lady who served on the same 30 day course in August. An attractive lady with a great personality that had flirted with all the males on the course.  Disco fell hard. And I've heard his agony with respect to his unrequited love many times. Unfortunately it seems that there were some drunken phone conversations about two weeks ago where he had consumed too much alcohol, phoned the lady and then let slip to this lady that he loved her. And now he has to deal with the fall out. Which is specifically that there is no hope of a romantic partnership developing.

And as usual, when you come across someone who is suffering more than you are, you end up feeling better within yourself. Disco's expression of his suffering has nudged my mood back towards equilibrium.  For which I am grateful

No comments:

Post a Comment