I've been listening to Alexander Fitzgerald over the course of the past year. And one of his pieces of advice is to wear clothing at the poker tables that hopefully gives an impression that you are a recreational player. He frequently mentions wearing a Titleist cap is one way to throw people off the scent. Well, off into a golf shop I eventually wandered and, while there was a Titleist cap, I didn't like it much and decided to go for a Callaway cap. When the sales assistant at the golf shop was querying why I wanted that particular brand, I stated that I didn't play golf. I just wanted a cap that would make me look like a goober at the poker tables. He laughed and gave me a discount.
Being of an age where I don't care what anybody thinks about what I wear, I chose to wear it at the cash tables today. And almost instant success. In a hand where I held QcQs, the flop came Qh7d5d. I bet the flop and was called by two players. The turn saw the Qd. Giving me quads, the small blind the nut flush and the UTG player the second nut flush. They both thought they had the nuts and bet into me. I knew I had the stone cold nuts when the river showed me the Ac. (The pretty small chance one of them had a straight flush draw that might get there died on the river). Nice triple up within 20 minutes of my first session with the Callaway cap on. Might have to wear it again.
My poker for the year is drawing to a close. And I have started playing live cash again over the past week. The tournament schedule at Crown has consisted entirely of satellites for the Aussie Millions tournament series that kicks off mid Jan 2017. After running poorly in satellites for the first two weeks of December it was time to give the satellites a rest and try cash again. The Live Poker 101 webinar series from Alexander Fitzgerald seems to have improved my cash game a little. However it is early days.
On Tuesday 20th December I fly north to serve on a Vipassana course at Blackheath. Part of my cunning plan to avoid Christmas. Looking forward to getting three hours of meditation in each day. And think I need to look at sitting a course sometime in the first quarter of 2017. A convenient time would be after the van fitout in mid-Feb. So may look into courses for around that time.
No comments:
Post a Comment