Wednesday, July 13, 2016

Playing some live tournaments for a change

Given my poor play and results in live cash I've decided to give live tournaments a try for a while.

This Wednesday's $350 tournament at Crown draws a field of around 45 - 50 people.  And tonight 48 runners took their seats. I was a little active early but there was too much action in multi-way pots that I had whiffed completely and after a couple of hours play (6 levels of 20 minutes each) I was below average.

Coming back after the break on level 7 with the blinds 500/1000 with 100 ante I woke up with QcQd in the Hijack.  An active younger guy opened to 2200 from UTG+2  nine handed. He started the hand with about 23,000 chips. I shoved my 11,600 stack and the action folded back around to him. The sense I had from my peripheral vision was that he was very unhappy with the shove. And, after some thought, reluctantly called. I insta-flipped the Ladies and he showed Ah7h.  Which was not in the range I had put him on.  With the sick look he had on his face I was thinking of small pocket pairs  - say in the range 44 - 88.   And if he had an Ax hand I would have placed the bottom of his range at A9 suited. Well, the proverbial Ace on the river landed and I was out of there.

Given the texture of the flop, which was Jack high and no hearts, I think that if I had 3bet to half my stack and then shoved the flop I would have taken down the pot on the flop. And I wonder whether that is a lower variance route that I should think about.  With this particular guy my assessment after this hand is that he hadn't observed how tight I had been playing and had me on a much wider range than is my actual range. So, if I wake up with QQ again I'll be wanting to get it in against his open raises.

It won't be the last time I get my money in good and end up having to get up from the table, sling my bag over my shoulder and walk off wondering why the universe can decide to pay the fish off for their poor play.

No comments:

Post a Comment