On Saturday 16th at around 4:00 pm I sat down at a 1/3 table at Crown Casino. A little over 29 hours later I exited Crown after a 29 odd hour session.... Feeling a little jaded around the 04:00 am mark but remarkably awake most of the rest of the time. Over that period of time I had a few swings up and down, eventually leaving about $150 down for the session. There were two others at the table that played for over 24 hours. One left about $1000 up. the other about $500 down. The guy who left with $1000 more than he started with was drinking alcohol at a reasonably steady rate over the course of his session, with regular breaks for a cigarette. During the course of our session we touched on our meditation practices. I found out that he has a regular practice. And claimed to spent up to 7 hours a day on a bhuddist meditation practice. He had been on one 10 day Vipassana course, but that was not the type of meditation he regularly practiced. I was bemused as to the experience of watching him consuming alcohol and sitting down smelling of cigarette smoke but also claiming to be a pretty intensive meditator. Maybe he binges. And this was a gambling, alcohol, cigarette binge. This guy was in his 40's, unemployed, and lived with a cat. There was some concern expressed by him about his moggy getting a little hungry. But he stayed on another 10 hours or so from when concern was first expressed
The other guy was a fairly young guy who played well but ran into some nutted hands when he had the second nuts. Where as the older guy seemed to be hitting most hands and being paid off. And when he didn't hit he got out of the hand cheaply.
I found myself in the wierd situation of believing I was meditation with eyes open during the last 4 or 5 hours of the experience. Overall it was a good experience, even it if was not profitable. Upon returning to my AirBnB in Glenbervie I was very glad to reacquaint myelf with the shower. If it wasn't for the fact that I was getting concerned about the whiff of body odour I may have been emitting I might have stayed on. Though, once in bed, there was little trouble falling to sleep and staying there for a good 8 to 9 hours.
This is an experience I will try to avoid repeating in the near to medium term. Being 57 years old and pulling an all-night poker session is likely to be a negative EV experience in the long run.
No comments:
Post a Comment