Well. Here I am in Melbourne. Landed Jan 23rd and have been bumping along in my new rut.
At this point in time the rut appears to have Crown Casino featuring on an almost daily basis. The Aussie Millions tournament series was in full swing when I landed and I took that opportunity to burn some cash on satellites to the main event. Sadly the main event satellites all ended prematurely for me. And I've been playing mainly cash since. With one foray into a $175 tournament where I finished 21st out of 120 runners.
The family home remains unsold. As #1 son still has two years to go on his Engineering degree I thought it would increase his stress levels if he had to go out into the rental market and suggested to the ex that if I moved out, maybe we could hold off on selling the family home for a couple of years. After a little thought she agreed to this. Prior to my departure I spent some time doing some maintenance, with the biggest item being a deck rebuild. I've never been a home handyman. The desire and skills to undertake renovations have been lacking to this point. To my surprise, the deck rebuild went surprisingly well. With the deck planks all being lifted and the rotten 200X500 joists all being replaced. I'm sure the project took longer than the ex wished, however I'm sure she is well pleased with the result.
So while the ex and both sons remain in the family home I'm now in a state of homelessness. There is a roof over my head tonight courtesy of AirBnB. I am well impressed with AirBnB. With the aid of AirBnB, I'm planning to try out a few different locations around Melbourne over the next two or three months to see where I might like living long term. My first experience with AirBnB was in October 2015 when I stayed in North Richmond for 10 days. Great spot. Hosted by a lady in her mid-60's for a very reasonable tariff. And on this trip I've spent some time in North Brunswick - another place I enjoyed staying, and now I'm in Brighton. All spots so far have been great for the cost. With this latest place having the added benefit of being about 1.5km from the train station which means I have some exercise incorporated into my daily routine.
Poker wise I'm going to be having a crack at being a cash game player. And I need to put a lot of work into my poker education. For much of the past two years I've been playing a lot on auto-pilot which has been a losing strategy. To become a winning player I need to change how I think about the game and play the game. A positive of the move is that I am spending a lot more time studying. During my commute to the Casino I'm listening to the Thinking Poker podcasts while I walk. And reading some of the recommended poker books on the train / tram.
Enough rambling. Time to post and take myself off to the bank to see if the munted $50 note their ATM gave me can be exchanged for one that will be accepted by local businesses.
No comments:
Post a Comment