Tuesday, February 23, 2016

Melbourne masquerading as a Sauna ...

Yesterday I moved from my short-term North Brighton AirBnB accomodation to another AirBnB in Northcote. The arrangement was that I was to turn up between 4:00pm - 5:00pm. This meant I needed to stash my luggage for a while between exiting North Brighton and turning up at Northcote. The Southern Cross train station has some short term luggage  lockers where people can stash luggage for short periods of time. Past experience with this facility has not been great. Several times I have been wandering past bank after bank of storage lockers which have all been labelled as being "Out of Action". Maybe they just don't care about tourists but it seems to be a facility that quite a few people make use of. After all, if you check out of your CBD hotel and have a late flight, the luggage storage facility at Southern Cross station is an easy money maker and greatly appreciated by tourists who then are able to swan around the city for a while before heading out to the airport.

Anyhoo, yesterday was an exception and I found a locker straight away. Yah!. Off to the Casino. Little bit warm on the way there. Air conditioned environment where I donked off a couple of buy-ins. Then out to the furnace like conditions of a very hot Melbourne afternoon. Luggage picked up and onto a route 86 tram. Not air-conditioned. Managed to snag a seat for which I was very grateful. But man. Just like a Sauna. Perspiration dripped into my clothes and I was very glad to exit the tram and wander down to my new accomodation. And very grateful to find a fan in my room....

After four weeks in Melbourne that is by far the hottest day I've had so far.  And on a par with the hotter days I experienced during my years living in Sydney. Today is far more tolerable so hopefully there won't be too many more days like that in the near future.

No comments:

Post a Comment