Saturday, March 26, 2016

Bingeing on podcasts

Consumption of podcasts during my commute to Crown Casino has become a regular part of my day. And I've found that there are more than enough podcasts out there to fill my commute hours. I'm not sure I want to discover any more podcasts just now as I've got more than enough to keep my ears busy for now.

This time last year the only podcast I would regularly consume, and consume poorly at that, was The Thinking Poker Podcast. Last year I would have other distractions happening that would mean a lack of focus on the content delivered by Andrew Brokos and Nate Meyvis.  Now that I consume my podcasts away from my desktop computer, and mostly while walking or on the train/tram, I find my ability to focus on the material is much better and therefore I engage with the podcast in a deeper way. Which is a good thing given the increased level of consumption.

Poker Related:
  • Thinking Poker Podcast. Great strategy content and great thinkers about the game. Usually an interesting guest each week.
  • Outouter.com "Ask Alex" weekly podcast where Barry Chalmers has a chat Alexander "Assasinato" Fitzgerald each week. Alex usually has a rant, then he settles down and Barry asks Alex some questions from the podcasts audience. Some very good poker content and I've grown to enjoy some of Alex's rants. Went off and found this podcast after listening to an interview of Alex on the thinking poker podcast
  • Red Chip poker podcast by James "Splitsuit" Sweeney. A fellow poker player at Crown recommended the Red Chip training materials to me. And while I have yet to check out any videos or sign up to the site, the podcast is free and useful. 
  • Smart Poker Study Podcast by Sky Matsuhashi. Almost too energizer bunny positive. Possibly a cultural thing where American listeners might like that particular style of hyper positivity. But there has been some useful information in some relatively short, sharp and sweet podcast episodes. Found this podcast after being alerted to it by one of Alex Fitzgerald's weekly emails.
 Other:
  • Better Off Dead series by Andrew Denton. This podcast series examines the legal, medical and human situation in Australia with respect to end of life choices for people who are experiencing unbearable  suffering. A great in-depth examination of the Australian issues along with an examination of assisted dying laws in the Netherlands, Belgium and the United States state of Oregon. Andrew Denton is one of my favourite Australian media people and this series once again show cases his talent. Highly recommended.
  • Tim Ferris's podcast. Alex Fitzgerald keeps making reference to information he sourced from this podcast series. So eventually, after hearing Alex make reference for the nth time, I chose to listen to one or two episodes. Some great interviews. But they can be long. Up to two hours in some cases. So be prepared to  split the listening time in two for some of these podcasts

No comments:

Post a Comment