Friday, February 6, 2015

My weekly reminders to write a blog post don't seem to work too well...

Every Tuesday a calendar reminder does its thing and delivers a reminder that perhaps I should write a blog post. My ability to ignore these reminders is pretty impressive. Here I am in Feb 2015 and my last blog post was in mid December 2014.

There is some rut jumping to report so may as well blog about that. I briefly jumped out of my Auckland rut in January and landed in Sydney for a couple of weeks. I was lucky enough to be offered the opportunity to house sit a friend's house and 10 month old labradoodle for two weeks. All I knew before turning up to the house was that they had taken on a puppy some 7 months earlier. I was a little concerned as to what sort of mutt I would have to look after and whether the dog and I would get  along. I've never owned a dog or been much of a dog person but all was well. Absolutely lovely mutt called Fernie. And even better, this pleasant natured, intelligent dog had been very well trained for his age. Super impressed.

Added bonus for me was that I haven't been exercising much at all and regular dog walking for two weeks was a welcome change to my routine.

About a week into the house sit the back yard swimming pool started to turn green. I requested advice by email from the owner and ended up buying some chlorine and tipping a measured amount into the pool. An hour later the pool had changed, as if by magic, from green to blue. Just like a school science experiment.  The amusing part of this story is that I had been told to go to the local hardware store and buy some chlorine for $20. The owner was assuming I would buy Chlorine tablets. He advised me to tip 1/4 of the purchased chlorine into the pool. I purchased a 15 litre container of liquid chlorine. As instructed I tipped 1/4 of the container into the pool.... Still seemed to do the trick and when the owner returned and checked the pool water at the local pool shop all seemed to be pretty right with the water.

Poker wise, whilst in Sydney,  I managed to get to the final table of a big $16.50 tournament at pokerstars and ended up 7th out of roughly 1400. Nice score but would have been nice to get a few places higher.  I also tried out a version of pub poker in Sydney. Played in a $65 tournament at 5 Dock RSL. The main differences to adjust to were that no dealer is supplied so every player gets to deal when on the button. Plus, while dealers make change at the Casino, at these tables change is made by the players which makes keeping track of what each player needs to put in to meet bets a little interesting.

Since returning to Auckland I've played in five live tournaments, cashing in one and finishing two out of the money in another. Overall down on live play by several hundred dollars since returning.  And online I have been unable to run deep or well since by big $16.50 cash.

I will interested to see how many weekly reminders it takes until I get around to writing my next blog post.

Note: Almost zero progress on mind mapping Janda. Have watched a few videos. No reviews of tournaments. No posts this year to online forums. Must do better

No comments:

Post a Comment