Friday, March 16, 2018

Slow Progress with Tiny Habits

A combination of BJ Fogg's TED talk on the subject of "Tiny Habits"  and one of Tim Ferriss's podcast interviews with Christopher Sommer led me to a change in my morning routine sometime early to mid 2016. In particular, after my morning meditation I give my body a stretch in janu sirsasana. Aiming to lengthen my hamstrings and improve my general flexibility. Following that, on a good day, I'll complete a set of push ups.

With both activities I started with a low hurdle for success. And over time I've seen the number of push ups I can complete grow from around 20 to start with up to 50 at the end of 2016.   I kept it at 50 for all of 2017 then gave 60 a whirl at the start of 2017 and found that hurdle was a relatively easy one and have kept my sets at 60 since then. With the janu sirsana stretches there has been very slow progress with respect to increasing the limits of my reach and how close my head can approach my knee. However I'm now at a point where I am more than mildly pleased with the slow millimeter by millimeter progress that has happened over the course of the last 21 months or so.

While I have been unable to lose and keep weight off over the past two years, I've improved a couple of aspects of my heath. The improvement with which I am more than mildly pleased with

No comments:

Post a Comment