Saturday, November 15, 2014

A Special Shared Father and Son moment

Last night my #1 son (SN1), age 19, discovered an outer threshold for his alcohol tolerance.

Around midnight last night, while I'm still playing internet poker on my computer, SN1 comes into my room, and says something along the lines of "I'm not feeling well. Do you mind if I sleep in here a bit until you are ready to go to bed? I think I drunk a little too much". This is very unusual. Never happened before. Teenage son interacting in this manner with Father at midnight after returning from local (walking distance) party.

SN1 settles into bed with sheet over eyes.... About 45 mins later movement on the bed, Scared, urgent look on his face. Appropriate bowl given to son and up comes some of last night's dinner, after which he settles back down to sleep. Around 2:00am I bust out of last internet poker tournament and am ready for bed. SN1 dead to world after throwing up episode.

Give up trying to rouse him and decide to sleep in SN1's bed.

Woken by constant buzzing around 07:00am from text's on SN1's phone so toodle back to my room where I have one of those conversations you don't really want to have.

SN1: "Can you get me some paper towels?"
Me: "Why?"
SN1: "I've thrown up on your bed."

I look closer. SN1 has head on my pillow and at far end of pillow is pile of vomit, with SN1's face about 5cm from it. He then points at duvet cover, where another pile of vomit sits and says "I don't know how that got there".  (This comment, from someone who is claiming that their lowest grade in their first year university engineering course is an A-, makes me wonder at how high the bar is set for grades at his university....)

I look at bowl by side of bed. A gleaming, pretty, empty bowl it is. Freshly cleaned and ready to catch stomach contents....

He confessed to consuming 6 diesel rtds. Claims there are 1.8 std drinks per rtd. Jeepers.

SN1 has now toodled off to his nice clean bed. His final words being "Can you lecture me later when I'm feeling better"

This is the first time he has been drunk and vomited in the home environment...... (at least while I've been around at the same time)...<sigh>

No comments:

Post a Comment